” Even if the dateline is past, don’t shy away if your gut tells you to apply… do it and the answer will either be a yes or a no” One of my mantras
Hello world, inspiring and motivating us all with my personal experience.
I registered to attend the 3rd African Epilepsy Congress on behalf of the Foundation created in memory of my late brother (I am the country director), and I thought I may as well submit an abstract. Guess what happened… It got accepted and I have to do a poster presentation for the 3 days of the conference.
I had noticed on their website that there were a few bursaries available, but the dateline was a week past when I received notifcation that the abstract was accepted. One of the conditions for applying for the bursary was that your abstract had to have been accepted.
I decided to try anway although there was some skeptism around me – they thought I should be glad my abstract was accepted in the first place and that the bursaries were clearly for young researchers etc etc
I sent an email pleading my case as follows:
“From: Marie A. Abanga [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: 02 February 2017 09:03
To: 3rd African Epilepsy Congress
Subject: Re: 3rd African Epilepsy Congress 2017 – Abstract acceptance
Dear Congress Sectretariat,
Thank you very much for this notification of the acceptance of my abstract. I am so moved, it is a dream come true.
Please, I have a query. I didn’t apply for a bursary because of one of the conditions which read as follows:
- Applicants must have submitted an abstract and received a score of at least 4 (out of 5)
Given that I had not yet received any acceptance or score of my abstract, I hesitated sending in an application.
Considering that I fulfill all other conditions, could I exceptionally be given a few hours to submit an application for a bursary?
Our Foundation is still so maiden and not funded – any resources we may set aside to sponsor my participation will leave a big toll on resources available for other programs earmarked for the year.
In sincere anticipation,” and I got a yes thus:
“Thank you for your email.
We can allow your request to apply for a bursary. Please complete and return the attached application form as soon as possible and by tomorrow (Friday 3rd February) at the latest.
3rd AEC Congress Secretariat“
And so I did all it expected and sent my application for the bursary by COB that same day. I mean, with the dateline of 22 December 2016, wasn’t this amazing they were even open to me on Feb 02? And then yesterday morning I got this oh my:
“Dear Marie Abanga,
On behalf of the Scientific and Organising Committee of the 3rd African Epilepsy Congress, I am pleased to inform you that you have been awarded a bursary to attend the congress…“
If I didn’t ask to be considered for a late application, I would have missed out big time. And if it had been a No, it would have sucked but I would have been glad I tried.
Therefore and please, sometimes we just need to face our fear in a positive light – and ask anyway. I used to fear failure big time, but a lot has changed with time and life. Even if there is a dateline and am late, I will pray and apply – mentally ready for a No or YES!!!
And you, any time you faced your fear and went for it even after the dateline?
Have a nice weekend