Dear All, when my guardian Angel introduced me to peace pilgrim and some of her literature, I new I just had to read as much as I could find about her. Her picture above is linked to her website, and below are some notes from her “Steps to inner Peace” pamphlet. Who knows who will be inspired and motivated? I share for just that purpose!
Reflections from Peace Pilgrim’s steps to Inner Peace
“You are now in control of your life. You see, the ego is never in control. The ego is controlled by wishes for comfort and convenience on the part of the body, by demands of the mind, and by outbursts of the emotions. But the higher nature controls the body and mind and the emotions. I can say to my body, “Lie down there on that cement floor and go to sleep”, and it obeys. I can say to my mind, “Shut out everything else and concentrate on this job before you”, and it’s obedient. I can say to my emotions, “Be still, even in the face of a terrible situation”, and they are still . It’s a different way of loving. The philosopher Thoreau wrote: If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps he hears a different drummer. And now you are following a different drummer – the higher nature instead of the lower”.
- Assume right attitudes toward life: Stop being an escapist or a surface-liver as these attitudes can only cause inharmony in your life.
- Live good beliefs: The law governing human conduct apply as rigidly as the law of gravity.
- Find your place in the life pattern: You have a part in the scheme of things.
- Simplify life to bring inner and outer well-being into harmony: Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens.
- Purification of the bodily temple: Are you free from all the bad habits? In your diet do you stress the vital foods – the fruits, whole grains, vegetables and nuts? Do you get to bed early and get enough sleep? Do you get plenty of fresh air, sunshine, exercise, and contact with nature? If you can answer “Yes” to all of these questions, you have gone a long way towards purification of the bodily temple.
- Purification of the thoughts: It is not enough to do right things and say right things. You must also think right things.
- Purification of the desires: Since you are here to get yourself into harmony with the laws that govern human conduct and with your part in the scheme of things, your desires should be focused in this direction.
- Purification of motives: Obviously your motive should never be of greed or self-seeking, or the wish for self-glorification.
- Relinquishment of self-will: You have, or it’s as though you have, two selves: the lower self that usually governs you selfishly, and the the higher self which stands ready to use you gloriously.
- Relinquishment of the feeling of separateness: All of us, all over the world, are cells in the body of humanity.
- Relinquishment of attachments: Only when you have relinquished all attachments can you really be free.
- Relinquishment of all negative feelings: Work on relinquishing negative feelings.
I read all I could about her and her work during the first stage of my spiritual/purification journey, and I made these notes during my second stage, needless to say how inspired and motivated I am especially on the eve of my 3rd stage. Indeed as I once learned, when the student of life is ready, the teacher appears. It’s been a real year of Grace so far and I cannot be grateful enough for all.